Tuesday 20 January 2015

"Everything is Awesome" on Social Media



I recently decided to join the world of Instagram. Although I had seen pictures from Instagram before, I had never felt motivated to set one up for myself… mostly due to the fact I have to have a Blackberry for work, which wasn’t compatible with Instagram.

In my first month as an “Instagrammer” I have noticed how incredible people’s lives seem to be. Not only just incredible, but extraordinary enough to make me re-evaluate my whole life….LOL.

What got me to the point of re-evaluation? The selfies of six-pack abs, round, firm butts, perfect flawless makeup, outfits that look like they were styled by Vogue, glamorous shoes, and hair that falls perfectly into place, could have something to do with it. It also could have been the expensive cars, wonderful homes that look like they belong in Architectural Digest, and vacations to exotic destinations…

It seems we have become a culture of “everything is awesome” on social media. We all want to portray that we live a fabulous life, with a six-pack abs, a big house, the perfect relationship, cute babies that don’t cry, and driving a luxury vehicle, all while wearing our designer clothes that belong on Pinterest.

I’ll admit, I have also played into the ‘my life is awesome’ photo posting to a certain degree, but my real truth is: my life is messy.

I work out and try to eat healthy (80/20 rule), yet I still do NOT have a six-pack. My hair is usually in a bun or ponytail, and fashion for me is usually a sweat shirt and yoga pants or jeans. I do love my little home but my family sometimes feels like we are on top of each other for a lack of space. I work really hard to pay my bills and sometimes I still don’t have enough. I often feel ‘Mommy guilt’ for not spending enough time with my midget, I have arguments in my relationship, and I am in a constant game of catch-up in everything!

Now, I am not saying that everyone on Instagram or social media is presenting this over-the-top idea of ‘perfection’ because there are many are people being authentic and sharing their journeys truthfully… but the reality is, no one’s life is perfect!

I am pledging, going forward, that I any and everything I post on my social media is to be honest, authentic, imperfect and vulnerable.

So get ready for some bad hair days.


“To be authentic, we must cultivate the courage to be imperfect—and vulnerable.” Brene Brown


      


                                                                     Follow me on:
                                                               Twitter: @aeryonashlie  
                                                          Facebook:Aeryon Bela Ashlie
                                                          Instagram: Aeryon Bela Ashlie

               



                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment