Monday 23 September 2013

After Show Sodium Scare


So this year after my show I had a very scary reaction to sodium. I had reduced my sodium intake roughly 2 weeks prior to Nationals, I also did a diuretic the week of the show and dropped my water 1-2 days prior. After the show I flew to Toronto for my National Sales Comference, I did enduldge in some great wine, cheese, and dark chocolate, nothing that I had not done years previous after a show. By Thursday afternoon I noticed my shoes were getting really tight, at the end of the night I could not do my shoes up. Friday morning they were progressively worse and when I flew home Friday evening my whole body was bloated and uncomfortable. I started panicking, I could not wear my shoes and when I walked off the plane it felt like I was walking on pins and needles, so I decided to goto the hospital.  
After 3-4 hrs, blood tests, urine tests, the doctors could not find anything wrong, they stared in disbelief at the size of my feet and they had not seen anything like that before. So they told me to elevate my feet, go home and if I became short of breath to come back immediately as it would then be a possible heart issue. 
So I headed home and was in tears as I looked at my body in the mirror, the person who had been on the National Stage a week prior was replaced by a puffy mess, I did not even recognize my body and I was easily 10-15lbs heavier.  Mentally I was trying not to freak out (which was happening), luckily Scott came home on Sat and was able to reassure me that it was just sodium and water retention. He bought me Epson salt's which I bathed in for 4 nights in a row. By the following Friday my body had for the most part returned to normal, however it really taught me that taking sodium out too soon causes an adverse effect on me, so the trifecta of no sodium, diuretics and water dropping had pissed my body off. 
With each show it gives you a chance to grow and learn, and share with others your experience hopefully helping them with their decisions and choices. 

                           Friday Night at Hospital


Following Friday 



For more information about my diet and training goto:
www.sdpharmaceuticals.com
Follow me on Facebook:
Aeryon Bela Ashlie


No comments:

Post a Comment