Wednesday 17 February 2016

Funeral Wishes



Recently I attended a memorial service for a client and friend that passed away a year ago. People stood up and shared their stories of how this person to this day still affects their life in a positive manner. To think that even a year after his passing people still wanted to gather and honor his contribution to their lives is amazing.

Which got me thinking, when people attend my funeral they will not be talking about my awards, or my sales records. They will not discuss my countless selfies, or Competitions…. There will be no “Wow… Aeryon did an amazing Instagram post”.
What people will be talking about is my integrity, my ability to be kind, loving, and the ways in which I impacted their lives. Just like the stories and conversations that were happening at my friend’s memorial.

So often we (myself included) get caught up in the day-to-day stuff, possessions, social media, the accolades from work and our peers…. We all know that we can’t take these things with us yet most of us count them for our worth. 

I guess one reason for this, I think, is that we don’t think we ever will be gone. I know that I tend to think I’m invincible. I see friends and family who have passed away but I kind of think "It can’t happen to me"….

But it will…

And as much as I want to 'Live Life to the Fullest,' 'Seize each Day,' 'Not Settle and Live My Best Life'…. One day this will be over, and what will remain is the impact I had on people.

How do I make them feel? When they leave me do they smile? Do they feel blessed with my friendship and with knowing me?

I know there are instances in my life where I have not always operated as my best self. I have said hurtful things, acted out of my ego, reacted in ways that I am not proud of. I believe we all have those moments; it is part of this human experience. 
However, owning up to our shortfalls, apologizing, acknowledging and growing from them is also a huge part of this journey. 
At the end of the day…what really matters is the laughter, joy, your integrity, how you inspired and made others lives better because you were part of it…

I only pray that years after I pass people will still gather together and share stories of the love they had for me…. and of my love for them…


Follow me:
IG: @AeryonBelaAshlie
FB: Aeryon Bela Ashlie
TW: @AeryonAshlie



No comments:

Post a Comment