Saturday 9 May 2015

Carb Backloading Recap Part 1

In Sept I wrote a blog about “Carb Back Loading” and how I started using this method after Nationals in Aug. 
To recap there are two different variations of this, one being Carb Night and one being Carb Backloading.
CN you have carbs everyday but only in the evening after training. In CBL there is a larger carb load once or several times a week depending on when you feel the need. The main premise is fats, proteins and some vegetables are what you consume throughout the day. When we wake up your body is in a Fat Metabolizing state so in order to keep your body metabolizing fat for fuel you don’t have carbs. Once you intake carbs your body switches to use carbs for energy not the stored fat.
However, carbs are important and used to benefit your training goals so having them post training or before bed enables your body replenish glycogen storage and create more lean muscle.
Coming off Nationals I was eating very little carbs so I choose to start with a once a week. On Sundays I would have my fats and protein as usual then at the later part of the day I would have my high glycemic carbs of choice (Popcorn, Nibs, M&M’s).  My goal was to start with once a week while lowering cardio, then go to twice and eventually have a small portion of carbs each day.
The next day I would train my legs thus using all the glycogen I had taken in night before. I must say I did feel fantastic and the tightest I had felt in awhile. Then the following week I consumed only fats and protein with no carbs except for my fibrous vegetables and start all over again Sunday.
Now I am not going for “Off Season Gains” I purely want to feel good, train hard and look great year round.
I started incorporating carbs in twice a week and eventually by November I was having 60grms of carbs per day with 30-40grms fat (spread over 4 meals) and 25grm of Protein per meal. I also lowered my cardio to 30 min, (I had been at 2hrs for my show prep in Aug) and did split body parts for training. Now I did experience weight gain that I was not comfortable with so at that point I decided to make some adjustments. 

My goal this year was to figure out what works for my body. 
How can I look good year round? I’m not interested in going up and down continuously, which is usually what happens with competing.  I am willing to put in the work, eat and train properly but I wanted to have the results. In my next blog I will cover what changes I made to get my body to stay with the look and weight I wanted using this method…


                                   My Favourite Carb Backload:)


     
                                                       Follow Me:
                                                                     Twitter: @AeryonAshlie
                                                                     Facebook: Aeryon Bela Ashlie
                                                                     Instagram: AeryonBelaAshlie

No comments:

Post a Comment